Sunday, January 22, 2012

Cincinnati Chili

1 Quart of Water
2 LBS of Lean Hamburger
1 tsp of Cinnamon
1 tsp of Ground Cumin
1-2 Large Chopped Onions
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 toe Garlic
2 TBSP Chili Powder
1 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Red Pepper or Chili Pepper
1 TBSP Salt
1 1/2 tsp Ground Allspice
1 6oz. can of Tomato Paste
1 1/2 TBSP Cider Vinegar
3 Large Bay Leaves
1/2 oz Bakers Chocolate

Directions:  Original recipe states to crumble raw (do not brown) hamburger into water, add rest of ingredients.  Bring to boil, then simmer for 3 hours.  Remove garlic toe and bay leaves.  Add whole red peppers (if desired) for spicier taste.

Prepare Spaghetti noodles per package directions, chop raw onion, shred cheddar cheese, oyster crackers and open a can of beans to complement the chili.

I always brown my meat but I have had it made as the original recipe suggest and the texture is truer to the original Cincinnati Chili you get at Skyline Chili.  I do this because I do not always have the leanest ground beef and want to make every effort to decrease the fat content in my chili.  I use only one onion in my chili as this amount is enough for my family.  I also use pre-minced garlic and put in the equivalent of 1 toe of garlic as I usually have this ingredient in my refrigerator as a staple.  I often put this together in the crock-pot and let it simmer all day.

Note:  Cincinnati Chili is typically served over Spaghetti Noodles and then declared:
 3 Way:  Chili, Spaghetti Noodles and Cheese
 4 Way:  Chili, Spaghetti Noodles, Cheese and Onion
 5 Way:  Chili, Spaghetti Noodles, Cheese, Onion and Beans


Comments:  This recipe was given to me by a dear college friend, Tim.  As with so many things I cook, there is a connection to the person or event associated with the food.  One of my dislikes of computer generated print-outs of recipes is that you loose the original handwriting of the giver of the recipe.  This particular recipe is written in Tim's hand and is considered one of my many treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment