Tuesday, February 14, 2012

My Very Favorite Asparagus Vinaigrette

1 TBSP balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 TBSP fresh lemon juice
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 small clove garlic, finely minced
1/2 cup fruity olive oil
1 plum tomato, seeded and diced
salt and pepper to taste
2 pounds of asparagus, trimmed
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1. For the vinaigrette, whisk the vinegar, lemon juice, and mustard together in a small bowl.  Add the garlic.  Gradually whisk in the olive oil, then stir in the diced tomato.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Let mellow at room temperature at least 30 minutes.

2.  Blanch, stem or microwave the asparagus just until crisp-tender, 3-5 minutes.  Arrange the hot asparagus on a serving platter and pour the vinaigrette over all.  Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.  Let sit at least 10 minutes before serving.  The asparagus may be served warm or at room temperature.  Makes 6-8 servings

Recipe from:  Cold Weather Cooking, Sarah Leah Chase

Comments:  I love this vinaigrette!  As I dream about spring and affordable asparagus, I look forward to making this more often than the occasional special occasions I prepare it through the winter months.  Someone always wants this recipe when I serve this dish. Note: I use what I have in the pantry; that often means lemon juice in a bottle, chopped garlic in a jar and no Dijon mustard. However, when this is prepared exactly as written, it is at its best!    Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment